[artwork by DanRae Wilson]
- RAGE Thormbones and WasteLAnd music's portrait album of Katharina Rosenberger's music is out on HATHUT records. It is distributed in the US by SquidCo.
- I'll be performing Timothy McCormack's HEAVYMATTER on the next Monday Evening Concert, 3/27, at Colburn's Zipper Hall. More information here.
- wildUp and I got nice mentions by Steve Smith on the Log Journal. Both for performances including Timothy McCormack's HEAVY MATTER and on his year end wrap up.
- I recently recorded Wolfgang von Schweinitz's JUZ for trombone and playback for a 2018 double LP release alongside Michelle Lou's HoneyDripper for trombone and electronics in collaboration Tristan Duke at Infinity Light Science.
- My solo program from the fall of Deyoe, Lou, Greenwald, Katie Young, and McCormack was included in the COLTA article of "What Music from 2016 will go down in History" by Olga Rayeva. The Russian article can be found here.
- WasteLAnd has received another incredibly kind mention from Alex Ross on his blog, The Rest is Noise. He very thoughtfully calls WasteLAnd "one of the country's most far-sighted new-music series" while sharing the video of our premiere of the brass quintet version James Tenney's Saxony from last spring.
- My solo record, Face|Resection, is out Populist Records: 10" vinyl available here and digital formats here. Reviews/mentions have popped on The Rest is Noise [Alex Ross], the Wire, New Classical LA, Snakes and Cats, the Artificialist, Textura, and a bampcamp feature. Face|Resection has a second mention on The Rest is Noise in Mr. Ross's most recent Nightafternight playlist.
- The manual portion of Face|Resection is complete and live on the blog section of my site. E-mail me [at matt.j.barbier@gmail] if you'd like a hard copy.
- This fall I began teaching trombone and euphonium at Los Angeles City College (LACC).